If you are involved in a two-car accident, there’s about a 50/50 chance that you were rear ended. Rear end collisions in Dunwoody range from minor fender benders to major crashes on highways. Even when vehicle damage seems minor, the collision can lead to tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills and the painful condition known as whiplash—or much more serious injuries. Don’t get stuck paying medical bills on your own. You need to speak to a Dunwoody rear end collision accident lawyer.
At John Foy & Associates, we have devoted 20+ years to helping victims of rear end collisions and other types of accidents in Dunwoody. In that time, we have amassed one of the strongest track records of any lawyers in Georgia. Our lawyers are devoted solely to helping victims—we never take the side of the insurance company. We’ll give you a free consultation to discuss your case and what to do next. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What counts as a “rear end collision” in Dunwoody?
to find a John Foy office near you
We classify an accident as a “rear end collision” whenever the front end of one vehicle hits the rear end of another. Sometimes other factors are involved, but we still consider it a rear end collision. Rear end collisions are common in parking lots, at stop signs and in traffic jams where cars are just creeping along. These accidents don’t cause much vehicle damage, but they can cause surprisingly serious injuries to the people inside. More serious rear end collisions can happen on highways because one driver is changing lanes aggressively or doesn’t notice that the cars ahead have stopped.
In the City of Dunwoody, rear end accidents usually involve one of these situations:
- A distracted driver, such as a person playing with the radio or using a cell phone
- A driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Weather, including fog, rain and other conditions that reduce visibility
- Aggressive lane changing
What are the most common rear end collision injuries?
The type of injuries you suffer will depend on the way the accident happened, including the speed the vehicles were traveling. But there are some injuries that are especially common after rear end collisions. These include:
- Whiplash is a painful neck condition that is probably the most common injury after a rear end collision. It occurs because the impact from behind thrusts your neck forward, while the rest of your body remains restrained by your seat belt. This violent “whipping” motion can tear muscles and soft tissues in and around your neck.
- Head injuries. As your head whips forward, it may collide with surfaces inside the car—the steering wheel, the dashboard, the windshield, or the seat in front of you. This can lead to head injuries ranging from cuts and bruises to a concussion to a traumatic brain injury. Even a mild concussion can develop long-term complications if it leads to swelling that places pressure on the brain.
- Broken bones. Many rear-end accident victims suffer bone fractures after they hit their hands, arms or faces on the surfaces in front of them.
Never assume that your injuries will go away on their own. Many conditions become worse and more difficult to treat if you don’t get medical attention right away.
What is the difference between a rear end collision and other types of car accidents?
Dunwoody Rear End Collision Accident Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
In many types of car accidents, it can be hard to tell who is at fault. Fault is important in Georgia because the driver who is at fault must pay for all the injuries and damage. After the accident, there may be an ongoing police investigation, and the parties and their insurance companies may argue about who is to blame.
In a rear end collision, however, it’s usually easy to see who is at fault. In most cases, it’s the driver in back. Usually, the driver in the rear could have avoided the accident by being more careful, while the driver in front is truly a victim who was struck with no warning.
Sometimes, however, the driver in the back was NOT at fault. For example, if you rear-ended a driver who changed lanes suddenly without signaling, the accident may be the driver in front’s fault. A lawyer can help you understand who is at fault in your case.
What costs can I recover in a rear end collision claim in Dunwoody?
You can recover all your costs from an accident that wasn’t your fault. This means that most rear end accident victims can recover these types of damages:
- Medical costs
- Prescription medication expenses
- The cost of physical therapy or other rehabilitation
- Your expenses for fixing or replacing your vehicle
- Lost wages—money to make up for the pay you lost if you were unable to work because of the accident
Some accident victims qualify for additional large damage awards. The local courts may award you this money for serious losses like a disability or pain and suffering. We know this money cannot put your life back where it was before the accident. But we also have seen how money can relieve financial stress, helping you make the fullest recovery possible.
For a free legal consultation with a rear end collision accidents lawyer serving Dunwoody, call 404-400-4000
Many people come to us after an insurance company has offered them money. We have found that these offers are almost never enough to pay the full cost of an accident. The insurance companies like to settle claims cheaply so they can make a bigger profit for themselves. We recommend you always talk to a lawyer before you accept anything from an insurance company.
Is there a deadline for making a rear end accident claim in Dunwoody?
There are strict deadlines under both state and federal law. These deadlines, also called “statutes of limitations” can vary depending on the circumstances of your accident. In some cases, your deadline may be just weeks away. In others, you have up to two years to file a claim. If you miss the deadline, you will be unable to get any money for your accident. To avoid this harsh result, it is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
Talk to a Dunwoody Rear End Collision Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, our law practice is built on protecting the rights of accident victims. We have helped thousands of people recover money for their injuries, and we’re ready to help you too. Let us give you a free consultation to discuss your options. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.