Any car accident instantly becomes more serious when a semi-truck is involved. Large trucks have so much momentum behind them that even a minor collision can cause serious injuries. After a truck accident, Our truck accident attorneys serving Athens can assist you in filing your claims.
John Foy & Associates is here to help. We have the experience, knowledge, and track record to take on even the biggest insurance companies or trucking companies. Let us review your case and help you understand your legal options. Contact us and get your free consultation today.
What Damages Can You Be Compensated for After a Truck Accident in Athens?
Under the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) §51-1-6, you can recover all of your costs as the victim of an accident in Athens. The most common costs we see include:
- Medical bills
- Drugs and medication
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Any lost wages or lost work time related to the accident
- Damage to your vehicle
The law also allows you substantial financial awards for physical pain and suffering, disabilities, or other serious losses. This money can help you and your family stay financially stable while you deal with the aftermath of a life-changing accident.
Punitive damages exist to punish negligent truck drivers for their actions. Suppose the truck driver was egregiously negligent, committing a crime, or intended to harm you. In that case, there is a chance that your truck accident case may qualify for a reward for punitive damages.
We can’t guarantee that you will get a reward for punitive damages, but if your case can qualify, we will ensure that these damages get factored into your settlement.
How Much Is the Average Truck Accident Settlement in Athens?
The average truck accident settlement varies depending on several factors:
- How severe your damages and injuries are
- How much your accident has negatively impacted your life
- The types of damages you sustained
A very rough and general average of truck accident settlements in Athens is around $80,000. Keep in mind, this is simply a rough estimate and in no way reflects or guarantees the same value on your unique truck accident case. The only way to know for sure how much you can win in compensation is to get your case reviewed by our truck accident attorneys serving Athens.
How Do You Know if You Have a Truck Accident Claim?
The only way to be sure is to get a professional opinion from a lawyer. We see many accident victims who think the accident was their own fault or didn’t believe they have any legal options, only to discover that they have a claim worth tens of thousands of dollars or more. Many truck accident claims end up being worth well over $100,000.
We understand that it’s hard to know what to do after an accident. The weeks following your accident can be filled with pain, stress, and financial worries, as well as the grief of dealing with an uncertain medical recovery.
That’s why we offer a free in-depth consultation. Our attorneys will sit down with you wherever is most convenient and help you understand your legal options, your rights, and what’s involved in filing a claim. You don’t have to face your accident alone.
to find a John Foy office near you
The Statute of Limitations for Truck Accidents in Athens
Truck accidents have a general statute of limitations of two years under OCGA §9-3-33. While this statute gives you two years, that doesn’t mean you should take a long time to file your claim. You should make the preparations for filing and build a strong case as soon as possible.
Many people believe that they have all the time in the world to file their claims. This is why thousands of people in Athens and all throughout Georgia miss out on getting financial compensation. Don’t make this mistake and run the risk of weakening your chances of winning a fair settlement.
Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me in Athens706-400-4000
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident in Athens?
The best thing you can do is to protect yourself and your rights. Truck companies carry insurance on all of their trucks and drivers, but that doesn’t mean the insurer will be eager to pay out your claim. Instead, they come armed with a whole team of lawyers that will look for ways to pay you as little as possible, even if it doesn’t cover your medical bills.
You can take steps to make your claim strong from the start, including:
- Talk to witnesses. If anyone saw the accident happen, talk to them and ask for their contact information. They could help validate your story later.
- Take pictures. If you have a cell phone, use it. Take pictures of the damage to your car, any injuries you sustained, and the overall accident scene.
- Make a video of your conversation with the driver. Any trucker who gets behind the wheel fatigued is acting recklessly and putting other people’s lives at risk. Videotape your conversation so any signs of drowsiness or exhaustion can be proved later.
- See a doctor. Many car accident injuries can seem minor at first but become serious with time. Don’t downplay your injury or put off going to the doctor. Your diagnosis will be crucial to your claim.
- Talk to a lawyer. The most important thing you can do after any truck accident is talking to a good attorney before you talk to the insurance company. Your lawyer can help you avoid common traps the insurers use to get you to weaken your claim or sign away your rights.
The best thing you can do to protect your ability to file a claim is to be as proactive as possible. While our truck accident lawyers serving Athens can help you immensely, you can also do your part to ensure that your claim has strong evidence and a solid case backing it.
Why Are Truck Accidents so Dangerous?
Passenger vehicles will typically suffer severe damages, and the people inside may face life-threatening injuries. Truck accidents are dangerous because:
- Trucks cannot stop easily.
- Drivers may have limited awareness of vehicles to the side or behind the trailer.
- Truck drivers are held to strict schedules, incentivizing fatigued or distracted driving.
- Trucks can carry flammable materials or other dangerous cargo.
When a truck is loaded with cargo, it can weigh up to 80,000 pounds which is roughly 20 times the weight of a standard car. The sheer size and weight of a vehicle that big means that any collision with a car, or even an SUV or pickup truck, is disastrous.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Athens, call 706-400-4000
Does It Matter How My Truck Accident Occurred?
There are many types of truck accidents, and the cause can be different in each case. But there are some factors we see come up over and over again in truck accidents. For example:
- About one-third of truck accidents involve driver fatigue.
- If pulled over for a roadside inspection, about one in three trucks will fail.
- Over half of all truck drivers have altered their driving logs so they can stay on the road longer than allowed by law.
- Trucks are difficult to control and not easy to maneuver in many circumstances.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how your truck accident occurred. As long as a negligent party was responsible, you can build a strong claim for your case. Don’t automatically assume you don’t have a case. Always speak to a lawyer first.
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer Serving Athens Today for Free
At John Foy & Associates, everything we do is designed to help accident victims. For over 20 years, we have helped truck accident victims in Athens and the surrounding areas get the legal help they need to get the compensation they deserve. Call us or fill out the form to your right and get your free consultation today.