Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, or simply “Popeyes,” is a quick-service restaurant specializing in New Orleans-style spicy chicken. Dine-in, drive-through, or carryout meals are available at multiple Popeyes restaurants located throughout Georgia.
When you make plans to go to a Popeyes restaurant for lunch or dinner, you expect conditions there to be safe. This is because of the “duty of care” that all businesses are required to have for their customers. If you fall on Popeyes’ property due to their negligence, you may be able to file a premises liability claim to be compensated for your injuries.
Some damages Popeyes could reimburse you for include:
- Doctor bills for examination and treatment of your injuries
- Travel expenses
- Ambulance fees
- Bills for emergency room care
- Diagnostic scans like an X-ray or MRI
- Lost wages if you had to miss work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if you can’t return to your regular job after being injured
- Emotional damage, which is also legally known as “pain and suffering”
A slip and fall lawyer at John Foy & Associates can help you calculate your total damages and file your lawsuit against Popeyes. Contact us now at 404-260-2412 to tell us about your case and set up a free consultation.
History of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen
The restaurant that would become Popeyes first opened in the suburbs of New Orleans in 1972. Within a year, changes were made to the menu to focus on spicy chicken rather than traditional fried chicken.
Franchise locations opened in Louisiana in 1976, and the company continued to grow and expand to new locations around the United States and across the globe in the years that followed. The business name was officially changed to “Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen” in 2008, and there are now 2,700 locations in operation.
to find a John Foy office near you
Keys to a Valid Premises Liability Claim
In any business, there can be hazards like slippery floors or objects blocking a walkway which causes you to slip and fall. This is especially true in a bustling, sometimes crowded fast-food restaurant like Popeyes.
Not every slip and fall accident, however, will qualify for compensation. To win a premises liability claim against Popeyes you will need to demonstrate the following key elements:
- Popeyes management or at least one employee knew there was a hazard on the premises. This could be outside the store (parking lot, sidewalk, drive-through lane) or anywhere you are present inside the restaurant.
- Employees did not remove the hazard or adequately warn you about the hazard through signs or barriers.
- You did not know about the hazard before it caused your fall.
- You sustained injuries when you fell. These injuries can include:
The scene after a slip and fall accident can be chaotic and confusing. You may need emergency medical attention if your injuries are severe. You may not know if negligence caused your fall, and it could take months of investigation to get to the facts and determine whether you are even going to be able to sue for compensation.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
After A Slip and Fall Accident
If you are physically able to stay on the scene, take the following steps to ensure the strongest possible case for a potential premises liability claim against Popeyes:
- Talk to people nearby who may have seen your slip and fall accident. If they can act as witnesses, gather names and contact information for future reference.
- Check the area around where you fell. If you see:
- Security cameras — Ask for a copy of the video footage in case one of the cameras captured your fall.
- Hazardous conditions — Take pictures of any hazards that could have contributed to your fall. Include wide shots or various angles to demonstrate the lack of warning signs.
- Report your incident to the Popeyes manager on duty so he or she can file an official incident report and remove or place warnings around the hazard to protect other customers.
- Do not tell anyone that you were at fault for the accident. Even if evidence later shows that Popeyes was liable, your admission of blame could reduce the amount of compensation for which you are eligible.
- If Popeyes asks you to sign anything, read the documents carefully. You may also want to consult with a slip and fall attorney who can review the documents and advise you on the best way to preserve your rights.
Call John Foy & Associates Today
As soon as you hire John Foy & Associates, we will get right to work on your case. We can investigate your slip and fall incident, track down evidence, and represent you in negotiations with Popeyes and at court. We have worked for over 20 years serving Georgia residents injured due to negligence.
Our slip and fall attorneys are trustworthy, qualified, and dedicated to getting you the compensation you deserve. Call John Foy & Associates now at 404-260-2412.