Greyhound bus accidents can have devastating consequences, including serious injuries and fatalities. Numerous factors, such as driver negligence, mechanical issues, or hazardous road conditions, contribute to these crashes, and injured victims often face physical, emotional, and financial hardships.
If you were involved in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. However, navigating the legal process can be challenging without the help of a bus accident lawyer in Atlanta. An attorney from our Atlanta-based law firm can help you hold the responsible party liable.
Contact John Foy & Associates for a free consultation with an experienced bus accident lawyer.
How a Greyhound Bus Accident Lawyer Supports Your Case
Greyhound accidents can be complex, which is why you may need professional legal representation.
A bus accident lawyer can support you in several important ways, including:
- Providing legal guidance: A member of our team will answer any questions you may have and ensure you have a clear understanding of your legal options.
- Gathering evidence: If you choose to move forward, your lawyer will work to build a solid case by gathering all pertinent information, evidence, and documentation needed for your claim.
- Handling settlement negotiations: Your attorney will use the available evidence to negotiate with insurance companies and secure the maximum compensation available in your case.
- Identifying responsible parties: Your lawyer will work to identify the responsible party or parties and hold them accountable for their actions.
- Obtaining expert advice or testimony: Our law firm consults with industry experts when needed to gain specialized insights that strengthen your case.
- Representing you in court: Your attorney will prepare your case for trial and represent you in court if a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations.
In order to ensure your rights are protected, and you receive appropriate compensation, it’s best to enlist the help of an experienced bus accident attorney.
Get the strong arm
Regulations Governing Greyhound Buses
Accidents involving private bus companies, particularly those operating Greyhound buses, pose unique challenges. Federal regulations, as well as Georgia’s specific “carrier” legislation, apply to these incidents. These issues can further complicate the process of filing lawsuits.
Commercial bus drivers must adhere to not only general traffic regulations but also additional requirements outlined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the state. These regulations cover driver licensing, supervision practices for bus companies, and specific hours-of-service restrictions for drivers.
Violations of government regulations can significantly increase the liability of both the driver and the bus company. A seasoned bus accident lawyer from John Foy & Associates can assess whether someone broke the law or otherwise caused your accident.
Causes for Legal Action in Greyhound Bus Accidents
Greyhound bus operators owe a “reasonable duty of care” to their passengers, pedestrians, and fellow drivers on the road. Bus drivers must operate in a way that safeguards the lives of passengers and others on the road.
Numerous factors can contribute to Greyhound bus accidents, providing grounds for legal action, including:
- Speeding: Driving at excessive speeds can jeopardize the safety of passengers and others on the road.
- Failure to observe traffic signals: Ignoring traffic signals can lead to collisions and endanger lives.
- Driver fatigue or impairment: Fatigued or impaired drivers may be unable to operate the bus safely.
- Distracted driving: Distractions, such as cell phone use, can divert a driver’s attention from the road.
- Negligent hiring: Hiring drivers without proper qualifications or a history of safety concerns is a form of negligence.
- Defective bus equipment: Malfunctions in the bus’s equipment sometimes contribute to accidents.
- Improper vehicle maintenance: Neglecting regular maintenance can result in hazardous operating conditions.
- Inadequate training: Bus drivers must receive proper training to handle the responsibility of operating a bus.
- Failure to regularly inspect the bus: Regular bus inspections are crucial for identifying and addressing potential safety issues.
If you were injured through no fault of your own, an experienced bus accident attorney can evaluate the circumstances of the accident and determine the viability of a lawsuit.
Determining the Value of Your Bus Accident Claim
The financial compensation you could receive hinges on various factors, including the severity of your injuries, your monetary losses resulting from the accident, and the number of people filing claims.
Additional factors influencing your claim’s value include:
- Nature of the accident: This encompasses aspects like federal safety violations or instances of drunk driving.
- Severity of injury or disability: The extent of your injuries or disabilities significantly impacts the overall value of your case.
- Quality of evidence: The strength and quality of the evidence presented play a crucial role in determining your claim’s value.
- Direct losses incurred: This refers to quantifiable losses such as lost income and medical expenses.
- Pain and suffering: Non-economic damages, such as pain and emotional suffering resulting from your injuries, can increase your compensation.
It’s important to consult with an experienced bus accident attorney who can assess these factors and estimate your potential compensation based on the circumstances of your case.
Time Limit for Filing a Civil Lawsuit
Each state has its own time limits for filing various types of civil lawsuits. Here in Atlanta, Georgia, and statewide, the statute of limitations for personal injury or wrongful death lawsuits is two years. The clock starts ticking on the date of the accident victim’s injury or death.
Failing to take legal action before the deadline could mean losing your right to seek compensation. Time is of the essence for several reasons, so it is imperative to consult with a personal injury lawyer promptly after a bus accident.
All of our personal injury attorneys are well-versed in the applicable time constraints, and the sooner you hire one, the sooner they can start preserving evidence and building an effective strategy for your case.
Contact a Greyhound Bus Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a Greyhound bus accident, it’s crucial to act promptly to protect your rights. If your accident happened in the state of Georgia, John Foy & Associates is here to guide you through your next steps.
Our experienced Greyhound bus accident lawyers are here to fight for your rights and pursue an appropriate settlement or court award. Our team is available 24/7 to discuss the details of your accident and explore your legal options. Contact us now for a free, no-obligation consultation.