Many Atlanta charter bus trips start out as a vacation, an outing or a party. But when the bus is involved in an accident, the trip can end tragically. Charter buses are especially prone to serious accidents because they are large and heavy and their drivers may not be as careful or well trained as they should be. If you are hurt in a charter bus accident, you may face hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care and long term treatment. Even relatively minor injuries can quickly leave you in medical debt. But it doesn’t have to be that way. You can recover the full cost of your injuries. You need to talk to an Atlanta charter bus accident lawyer.
For the past two decades, the lawyers at John Foy & Associates have been dedicated to helping accident victims like you obtain the money they need to put their lives back together. From our beginnings as a small local law office, we have grown into one of the largest and most successful personal injury firms in the state of Georgia. Let us give you a free consultation to explain how we can help you. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
Are charter bus accidents different than other types of accidents?
Charter buses are large and top-heavy, making them prone to tip over. When fully loaded with passengers, they can weigh almost as much as a semi truck. When a vehicle of this size and weight has an accident, there’s a huge potential for serious injuries.
This potential is compounded because passengers are often not wearing seat belts. Buses may not be equipped with them, and even when they are, no precautions are taken to make sure passengers wear them. This means that any impact can throw passengers from their seats or cause them to hit their heads—or other people. An accident can also turn bags, laptops and other personal possessions into dangerous projectiles, further increasing the risk of injury.
Charter bus accidents are also different than other types of accidents in terms of liability. The state is responsible for injuries on public transit buses, and major bus operators are required to carry large insurance policies. But smaller charter companies may not have adequate insurance. This is one reason that it is crucial to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer if you are involved in a charter bus accident.
Get the strong arm
What should I do if I’m in a charter bus accident?
If your charter bus is involved in an accident, the first and most important thing you should do is to get medical attention for yourself and anyone else who needs it. If you are not seriously injured, there are some actions you can take to protect yourself at the scene:
- Call the police, if someone else has not already called them. If you saw what happened, give the police a statement. The police report will be an important piece of evidence in your claim.
- Talk to witnesses at the scene and find out what they observed. Get their contact information.
- Take photos of the accident scene and the damage to the bus and any other vehicles or stationary objects.
- Keep an eye on the driver. This includes drivers of other vehicles involved. If you observe any signs that the driver may be under the influence, report your suspicions to the police.
- See a doctor as soon as you can. Some common bus accident injuries like whiplash tend to get worse over time if they are not treated. Getting treatment right away also makes your injury claim more credible.
Finally, contact a bus accident injury lawyer as soon as you are able. Charter bus accident claims can be complicated because there are many people who might potentially be at fault. The sooner you consult with a lawyer, the sooner you can receive financial recovery for your injuries.
What are some common causes of charter bus accidents in Atlanta?
Most of the time, bus accidents happen because someone was negligent, meaning they weren’t as careful as they should have been. If someone—including a business—was negligent, they are legally responsible for the cost of your injuries. Some of the most common reasons charter bus accidents occur include:
- Inadequate driver training
- Overloading the bus with passengers or baggage
- Bus companies hiring drivers without adequate background checks
- Poor weather conditions
- Drivers who drive unsafely, including driving under the influence
- Improper maintenance
- Defective parts
At John Foy & Associates, the first thing we do is to have investigators look into the facts surrounding your accident. The evidence our investigators uncover will help us determine whether someone was negligent and can be held legally accountable.
What kinds of injuries do people suffer in charter bus accidents?
Unfortunately, charter bus accidents have a high potential for serious injuries and fatalities. Common bus accident injuries include:
- Broken bones, which can affect your ability to work and can cause lifelong soreness.
- Head injuries. Traumatic brain injuries are one of the most severe injuries you can have in a vehicle accident.
- Injuries to muscles and tendons, including whiplash.
- Psychological injuries, including post-traumatic stress disorder.
What costs can I recover in an Atlanta charter bus accident?
If you are injured in a charter bus accident in the City of Atlanta, you are entitled to recover all of your costs and expenses. Most of the time, there is an insurance policy that can be applied to your injuries, but when insurance is inadequate or the insurance company refuses to negotiate with us, we also pursue cases in the local courts. We routinely recover money for all of the damages associated with an accident, including:
- Medical expenses
- Prescription drug expenses
- The cost of rehabilitation and physical therapy
- The cost of treating mental health issues arising from the accident
- Lost wages, if you missed time from work because of the accident
Depending on the severity of your injuries and the cause of the accident, you may also be entitled to additional large amounts of money for pain and suffering, permanent disabilities, or punitive damages. Money can never undo the effects of a tragic accident, but it can help you and your family remain financially stable while you work to put your life back on track.
Talk to an Atlanta Charter Bus Accident Lawyer for Free
A charter bus accident can cause devastating injuries, but you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden. At John Foy and Associates, we want to make sure you get the financial recovery you deserve, so you can focus on your healing process. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and explain your options, with no obligation. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.
404-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form