If a police officer didn’t respond to the car accident, you can get a police report at the corresponding precinct office, by mail, or online. There are several benefits of obtaining a police report after you’ve been in an accident.
Our car accident lawyers in South Fulton explain the process of getting a police report and the benefits. Read on to learn how John Foy & Associates can help you with the process.
Why Should You Get a Police Report After a Car Accident in Georgia?
Getting a police report after a car accident in Georgia is extremely important for a few key reasons. These include:
- Insurance claims: Insurance companies usually require a police report in order to process claims from an accident. Having the report document what happened from a neutral third-party perspective is helpful.
- Liability: The police report will assign fault or liability for the accident, which determines who is financially responsible. This is important for potential reimbursement of damages from the at-fault driver’s insurance.
- Documentation: The report provides an official record of the accident details like location, date, time, who was involved, injuries, witness information, and the officer’s opinion on who caused the accident. This can help if disputes arise later on.
- Accident history: A police record of the incident becomes part of your driving history, which insurance companies can access when determining rates. Not having one filed may negatively impact future policy rates.
- Future disputes: If injuries manifest later or additional damages are discovered, the police report can be used as evidence. It serves as an objective factual source rather than relying on conflicting accounts from the involved parties.
By getting an official report generated, drivers take an important step towards resolving matters efficiently with their insurance and avoiding potential complications down the road.
Get the strong arm
How Can John Foy & Associates Help You Get a Police Report?
As a personal injury law firm, we have experience dealing with car accidents and helping clients obtain documentation like police reports. Our team of South Fulton personal injury attorneys can assist you in getting a police report in several ways:
Expediting the Process
Getting the police report promptly is important for insurance claims and potential legal actions. The South Fulton car accident attorneys on our team know the procedures and direct contacts at the local precincts. We can call on your behalf to prioritize and expedite the filing and release of your report.
Experienced legal counsel can review the report for accuracy and completeness. We have over 20 years of experience, so we understand what details should be included and may request corrections if any information is missing or incorrect.
Dealing with insurance companies and other parties is an important part of the legal process. We can correspond directly to obtain the report, saving you time and effort.
Potential Legal Remedies
In difficult cases where a report is not provided in a timely manner, our lawyers are prepared to pursue the necessary legal remedies to acquire the required documentation.
By engaging our car accident lawyer in South Fulton, you gain an advocate focused on obtaining police reports efficiently to maximize recovery potential in vehicle accident cases.
What Is the Process of Getting a Police Report in South Fulton, GA, in Person?
Obtaining a police report for a car accident is a straightforward process. Here are the steps you’ll need to take to get your report in person:
Choose the Appropriate Precinct
The South Fulton Police Department has two main precincts that handle traffic accident reports: the Butner Precinct and the Roosevelt Precinct. If your accident occurred within the jurisdiction of Butner Precinct, you need to go to 3220 Butner Road, Suite 150, South Fulton, GA 30331.
For accidents under Roosevelt Precinct, visit them at 3461 Roosevelt Highway, South Fulton, GA 30349. Knowing the location of the crash will determine the correct precinct office to provide your report information.
Provide Information About the Car Crash
When you go to the precinct, be prepared to give a complete rundown of the accident details to the officer. You’ll need facts like the date and time, exact location, vehicle descriptions, who was involved, how the collision occurred, any injuries, contact details for all drivers and passengers, and witness information, if available.
Bringing your insurance information and license also helps speed up the process. The officer will ask questions to get a clear picture of what happened. It’s important to be as accurate as possible in your responses since this becomes the official documentation of the incident.
Pay the Fee
Once the report is filed, there is a small fee required. The base rate in South Fulton is $5, which helps cover administrative costs. Payment is collected at the precinct in cash.
However, if the accident involved injuries or disabled vehicles, the fee may be slightly higher. Getting a police report ensures the proper authorities create an impartial record of the crash specifics. Following these steps lets your insurance access a vital document for processing claims fairly.
Getting a Report by Mail
You can request a police report be mailed to you if you are unable to obtain one in person. Follow these steps:
- Contact the precinct where the accident occurred and request a “Police Report Request” form. This can be done by calling or emailing.
- Complete the form providing your name, address, accident date, and location details.
- Mail the form along with a check or money order for the report fee, which is currently $5, to the precinct address.
- Allow 7-10 business days for processing. The completed report will then be mailed to the address provided.
How to Get a Police Report Online in South Fulton, GA
While the South Fulton Police Department website is a good option, another alternative is BuyCrash.com.
This is a private website that maintains an online database of police records from law enforcement agencies across the country, including those in South Fulton. To obtain your report through BuyCrash, you will need to create a free account and then enter details about the accident, such as the date, location, involved vehicles, and drivers.
BuyCrash will search its records, and if a matching report is found, you will be allowed to view and print it immediately. The benefit of using BuyCrash is the ability to access reports 24/7 from any internet-connected device.
However, it is important to note that BuyCrash may charge a small fee for each report downloaded, whereas obtaining it directly from the police department website is free of charge once records fees are paid.
Learn More About Obtaining a Police Report After a Car Accident in South Fulton, GA
After you get into a car accident, you should get a police report as soon as you can. Our car accident attorney in South Fulton at John Foy & Associates can help you get a police report and help you start building a case.
Contact us to learn more about getting a police report after your South Fulton car accident.