Any car accident instantly becomes more serious when a semi truck is involved. 18-wheelers have so much momentum behind them that even a minor collision can cause serious injuries. In Athens, many of the most serious accidents we see involve a tractor trailer, and these cases can be incredibly complex. Anyone who has been involved in an accident with a semi truck should speak to a lawyer.
John Foy & Associates is here to help. For over 20 years we have dedicated our practice exclusively to helping injury victims. We began as a small local law office and have become one of the most respected truck accident firms in the country. We have the experience, knowledge and track record to take on even the biggest insurance companies or trucking companies. Let us sit down with you and give you a free consultation with some of the best truck accident lawyers around Athens. Contact us at 706-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How are semi truck accidents different from other car accidents?
When a semi truck is loaded with cargo it can weigh up to 80,000 pounds—about 20 times the weight of a standard car. The sheer size and weight of a vehicle that big means that any collision with a car, or even an SUV or pickup truck, is disastrous. The other vehicle will typically suffer severe damage and the people inside may face life threatening injuries.
There are other dangers unique to tractor trailers as well. These include:
- They cannot stop easily
- Drivers may have limited awareness of vehicles to the side or behind the trailer
- Truck drivers are held to strict schedules, incentivizing fatigued or distracted driving
- Trucks can carry flammable materials or other dangerous cargo
What are the most common causes of truck accidents in Athens?
There are many types of truck accidents, and the cause can be different in each case. But there are some factors we see come up over and over again in truck accidents. For example:
- About one third of truck accidents involve driver fatigue
- If pulled over for a roadside inspection, about one in three trucks will fail
- Over half of half of truck drivers have altered their driving logs so they could stay on the road longer than allowed by law.
If I’m in an accident with a truck in Athens, what should I do?
The best thing you can do is to protect yourself and your rights. Truck companies carry insurance on all of their trucks and drivers, but that doesn’t mean the insurer will be eager to pay out your claim. They come armed with a whole team of lawyers that will look for ways to pay you as little as possible—even if it doesn’t cover your medical bills. But you can take steps to make your claim strong from the start, including:
- Talk to witnesses. If anyone saw the accident happen, talk to them and ask for their contact information. They could help validate your story later.
- Take pictures. If you have a cell phone, use it. Take pictures of the damage to your car, any injuries you sustained, and the overall accident scene.
- Make a video of your conversation with the driver. Any trucker who gets behind the wheel fatigued is acting recklessly and putting other people’s lives at risk. Video record your conversation so any signs of drowsiness or exhaustion can be proved later.
- See a doctor. Many car accident injuries can seem minor at first but become serious with time. Don’t downplay your injury or put off going to the doctor. Your diagnosis will be crucial to your claim.
- Talk to a lawyer. The most important thing you can do after any truck accident is talk to a good attorney—before you talk to the insurance company. Your lawyer can help you avoid common traps the insurers use to get you to weaken your claim or sign away your rights.
What costs am I eligible to recover in an Athens truck accident claim?
By state law, in the City of Athens you can recover all of your costs as the victim of an accident. The most common costs we see include:
- Medical bills
- Drugs and medication
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Any lost wages or lost work time related to the accident
- Damage to your vehicle
The law also allows you substantial financial awards for physical pain and suffering, disabilities, or other serious losses. This money can help you and your family stay financially stable while you deal with the aftermath of a life changing accident.
How do I know if I have a truck accident claim?
The only way to be sure is to get a professional opinion from a lawyer. We see many accident victims who think they accident was their own fault, or don’t believe they have any legal options—only to discover that they have a claim worth tens of thousands of dollars or more. Many truck accident claims end up being worth well over $100,000.
We understand that it’s hard to know what to do after an accident. The weeks following your accident can be filled with pain, stress, and financial worries—as well as the grief of dealing with an uncertain medical recovery. That’s why we offer a free in depth consultation. Our attorneys will sit down with you wherever is most convenient and help you understand your legal options, your rights, and what’s involved in filing a claim. You do not have to face your accident alone.
Talk to an Athens Truck Accident Lawyer for Free
At John Foy & Associates, everything we do is designed to help accident victims. Let us give you a free consultation and help you make an informed decision in your case. Call us at 706-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.