A “slip and fall” accident might not sound like a serious deal, but it can leave you with painful injuries, huge medical bills, and more. If you slipped and fell at a business or on private property in Union City, you probably have a right to compensation for your costs. A Union City slip and fall lawyer can help you navigate the legal waters for a successful case.
Call the law offices of John Foy & Associates today for a FREE consultation. We’ll go over the details of your slip and fall accident, discuss your options, and answer any questions you have about how we can help. With over 20 years of experience helping injury victims, we know what it takes to win cases. Call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online for your FREE consultation.
Why Slip and Fall Accidents Happen in Union City
When you shop at a business or enter someone’s property as a guest, you are trusting the property owner or occupier to keep the premises safe. In fact, they have a legal duty to do so. Unfortunately, owners are not always diligent about keeping safety as the top priority. This is how slip and fall accidents happen in a place like Union City.
When a business or property owner is not careful to maintain a safe space for customers or visitors, injuries can happen at any time. This would mean the owner has been negligent, which is a legal term for careless. Negligence is key in the Georgia legal system because the negligent party in any injury accident is liable for all damages.
Proving a Slip and Fall Accident
As a slip and fall accident victim, you can recover damages for the owner or business’s breach of their legal duty (Georgia Code § 51-1-6). To seek this compensation for your damages, you will need to demonstrate that:
- The business, including an employee or manager, or property owner was negligent because they either (1) knew about a hazard and did not fix it in a reasonable time or (2) should have known about a slip and fall hazard but did not.
- Their negligence caused your slip and fall accident and injuries.
- Your damages were directly caused by the at-fault party’s negligence and your resulting injuries.
To demonstrate each of the above points, you will need to gather evidence of the accident and your injuries. This includes keeping track of all expenses, getting copies of medical records, and compiling proof of the store’s carelessness before your accident. You can begin gathering information right away, and a Union City slip and fall lawyer can help ensure you have everything you need.
Examples of Slip and Fall Accident Hazards in Union City
There are many ways someone can become injured on a property. Businesses must consider every way their customers might slip and fall while visiting and put in place strategies to prevent accidents. If they don’t, injuries can happen at any time.
Here are some examples of conditions that often lead to slip and fall accidents in Union City:
- Uneven, cracked, or crooked entryways, walkways, sidewalks, or pavement
- Unmarked wet and slippery floors from cleaning or mopping
- Torn or bunched up rugs or carpeting
- Spilled beverages or food items
- Snowy or icy surfaces
- Merchandise that has fallen or been left out in the aisles
- Poorly lit walkways
- Broken stairs or stairways without handrails
It’s common for slip and fall accident victims to blame themselves after an accident. You might worry that you were simply being clumsy. However, as you can see from the examples above, there are various reasons someone might fall on another person’s or business’s property.
Do not admit any blame or assume you are fully responsible until after you’ve spoken to an experienced slip and fall and premises liability lawyer. They can help investigate what happened and determine where fault for the incident actually lies. Many times, victims are surprised to learn that they hold no fault in their injuries.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Slip and fall accident injuries can range from mild to serious. Either way, they are legitimate and you should not have to pay for them. It’s also vital to see a doctor after your accident. Many injuries can worsen with time and become more severe than they initially seem.
Common injuries from slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Lacerations and bruising
- Joint, ligament, or other soft tissue injuries
- Back or neck injuries
- Concussions or other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
Symptoms that might not seem like a big deal can lead to big health consequences later. You may face large medical bills, lost wages from missing work time, and emotional damages that stay with you for many years (if not forever). Plus, your injuries might need long-term treatment that can add up quickly.
Seven Steps to Begin Building Your Slip and Fall Accident Case in Union City
To legally protect yourself and increase your chances of full compensation after your accident, you will need to take action soon. Here are some ways you can start building a strong injury case to file with the at-fault party’s insurance company:
- Get any necessary emergency medical treatment (or see a doctor as soon as possible after leaving the scene).
- Tell the property owner or store manager that you fell and were injured.
- Take pictures of your injuries, the accident scene, and the dangerous or hazardous condition that caused your accident.
- Talk to any witnesses and get their name(s) and contact information.
- Keep copies or original receipts of all medical costs and other expenses you face because of the accident.
- Do not accept the first settlement offer.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Union City for a free consultation.
Never Take the First Settlement Offer After a Slip and Fall
A common tactic after a slip and fall accident is for the insurance company to send you a settlement offer upfront. This might seem tempting, especially if you are stressed about how to pay your medical bills, but you should never accept the first offer. It’s a lowball offer that won’t come close to covering your costs.
It’s best to talk to a lawyer who specializes in slip and fall cases before talking to the insurance company at all. They can represent you and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf. That includes helping you build a strong case to negotiate for a settlement that is actually fair.
Talk to a Slip and Fall and Premises Liability in Union City for Free
Don’t wait to get help with your injury case after a slip and fall accident. Time is limited, and your rights are best protected the sooner you talk to a lawyer about your situation. At John Foy & Associates, we have 20 plus years of experience helping injury victims win the money they deserve.
Call us today at (404) 400-4000 or contact us online for a FREE, no-risk consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to take your call.