No trauma quite matches that of a birth injury. The happiness that families in Stonecrest feel after a new birth can dim quickly if the baby suffered injuries. Many times, birth injuries happen because a doctor or staff member was negligent.
You and your family might have a case against that medical provider. You must speak with a Stonecrest birth injuries lawyer as soon as possible. A lawyer can investigate and determine your rights.
John Foy & Associates understands the devastation of birth injuries. We have been helping families seek compensation for over 20 years. Reach out today to learn more about your legal rights.
Call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online for your FREE consultation.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries
According to Stanford Children’s Health, birth injuries (or birth trauma) are physical damages that occur during the birth process. The baby’s size, position, or other factors might impact the birth.
Birth injuries can happen because of factors like:
- Premature births (before 37 weeks)
- Large birth weights (over around 8 pounds, 13 ounces)
- Prolonged labor
- Difficult labor or births
- A mother’s pelvis is too small for the baby
- Breeched (buttocks first) deliveries
Some trauma happens naturally during the birthing process. However, a healthcare provider could have prevented other injuries. If a doctor’s negligence might have caused birth injuries, you might have a legal case.
Get the strong arm
Common Medical Errors During Birth
Birth injuries can happen because of doctor error. In some cases, there are grounds for a medical malpractice claim. You must be able to show that the doctor did not uphold the proper standard of care.
Errors that may lead to birth injuries include:
- Dosing or administering medications incorrectly
- Messing up a procedure or surgery
- Not recognizing infections
- Not following the right delivery procedures
- Using delivery tools incorrectly
- Failing to monitor heart rate and other vitals
- Ruining a C-section (or not recognizing the need for one)
These are just a few examples. If your doctor might have been negligent in some other way, contact a lawyer. You’ll need to know if there was malpractice during the birthing process.
Types of Birth Injuries
There are many ways a baby can become injured during birth. Here are some of the most common birth injuries:
- Forcep injuries: Bruising can happen as the baby comes through the birth canal and the mother’s pelvis. A doctor’s forceps can also bruise or mark the baby’s head.
- Injured nerves: The baby’s hands or arm nerves can become damaged. It can cause loss of motion, swelling, bruising, or permanent damage.
- Facial paralysis: Pressure during birth can damage facial nerves. When the baby cries, part of its face or eyes might not move properly. This can cause temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Broken eye blood vessels: Babies can have redness in one or more eyes after birth. This happens because of broken blood vessels. Thankfully, it improves within days or weeks.
- Swollen scalp: Soft tissues in the baby’s scalp can swell or bruise after birth. These injuries happen as the baby goes through the birth canal.
- Birth fractures: Issues during labor or delivery can cause fractures. The most common fractures are to the collarbone, which can cause pain and affect arm movement.
- Cephalohematoma: Cephalohematoma is bleeding under the baby’s scalp. It often looks like a raised bump and can go away within weeks or months.
There are various types of birth injuries. If your child suffered injuries during labor or birth, contact a Stonecrest birth injuries lawyer. You could have a legal case.
John Foy & Associates can investigate and determine your options. We have 20-plus years of experience to handle each step of your case. To learn more during a FREE consultation, call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online.
Handling the Insurance Companies
Hospitals often have powerful insurance companies to handle birth injury claims. Even though insurance should cover accidents, the insurer will look for ways to pay less.
Insurance companies use tactics to reduce what they pay on claims. Common tactics include:
- Denying a claim altogether
- Taking a long time to respond to a claim
- Offering a lowball settlement
- Looking for ways to avoid liability
We understand the most common insurance company actions. Our team is well-versed in handling insurers. After a traumatic birth injury, we handle the legal side of things. We’ll communicate with the insurer from start to finish.
Insurance companies hope they can get you to accept a much smaller settlement than you deserve. If you take any money, it could bar you from further compensation. We’ll make sure your rights stay protected as we fight for the fullest recovery.
Injuries to Mothers During Birth
Not all birth injuries affect only babies. Mothers can become injured during labor or birth, too. A doctor or hospital could be negligent in a way that caused injuries to the mother.
Both mothers and babies deserve proper care. Birth injuries can make a joyous time devastating and life-altering. If your family has been affected, contact a Stonecrest birth injuries lawyer immediately.
Families should be able to trust healthcare providers. If that trust is breached, it can lead to terrible consequences. Our lawyers are dedicated to uncovering the truth and fighting for your rights.
Common Birth Injury Damages
Birth injuries may entitle you to many damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Missed work time
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
You should not have to pay for a hospital’s negligence. After a birth injury, you’ll need to know your total losses. An experienced lawyer can help you seek recovery for all of your costs.
Talk to a Stonecrest Birth Injuries Lawyer Today
We should be able to trust healthcare providers, especially during the birth process. When a doctor fails us, it might mean a legal case. At John Foy & Associates, we can determine if you have a claim and help you seek compensation.
We understand how devastating birth injuries can be. The last thing you need to worry about is legal fees. That’s why we don’t charge a thing unless we win your case. There are also no upfront costs.
To get started with a FREE consultation, call (404) 400-4000 or contact us online.
404-400-4000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form