Drunk driving remains a leading cause of accidents and even highway fatalities in Kennesaw. Every year, drunk drivers cause accidents that ruin lives, leave people injured and in many cases end in tragedy. If you or your loved one were hurt by a drunk driver in Kennesaw, you have rights—and you can recover money for all of your losses. You need to talk to a Kennesaw drunk driving accident lawyer.
John Foy & Associates is on your side. We build our firm around the simple idea of championing the victims of injuries and accidents. We have helped families recover from drunk driving accidents for over 20 years. In that time we have developed a reputation for fighting insurance companies, winning cases and getting the victims the money they need.
Let us give you a free consultation. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
How is drunk driving defined in Kennesaw?
Drunk driving falls under Georgia’s DUI laws, both in Kennesaw and statewide. But DUI includes more than just driving after drinking alcohol. Under state law, a person is driving under the influence—and breaking the law—under any of the following circumstances:
- They have been drinking and their blood alcohol level is .08% or more
- They have not been drinking, but are on illegal drugs (such as marijuana)
- They have not been drinking, but have used legal medications that affect their ability to drive
That means that a driver on any substance, legal or illegal, is guilty of DUI. And that will definitely affect your accident claim as the victim.
to find a John Foy office near you
Why is a drunk driving accident different from any other car accident claim?
Drunk driving accidents are different for three reasons:
- Drunk driving accidents are often (but not always) more severe than other accidents. This is because the intoxicated driver has slower reflexes or may not even be fully conscious while driving. And many drunk driving cases involve dangerously high speeds. Police and the courtslikewise take these accidents very seriously.
- Since the intoxicated driver was breaking a serious law, you may be entitled to “punitive damages.” This is extra money that the driver pays as punishment. You can get punitive damages in addition to all of the money you would normally win in your claim.
- Fault is very easy to determine in a drunk driving accident. It’s technically possible for a drunk driver to be the victim of an accident that someone else caused, but it’s rare. When a driver is intoxicated, they are almost always at fault for the accident.
Kennesaw Drunk Driving Victims Lawyer Near Me 404-400-4000
How would I know if the other driver was intoxicated?
In many cases, the police will proactively investigate the possibility of intoxication at any car accident scene. They are trained to look for signs of drug or alcohol use, and they may be able to use a breathalyzer or some other kind of test to confirm it.
Sometimes, however, police are rushed or are worried about dealing with the injured. That’s why it pays to keep your own eyes open. Here are steps you can take after any accident:
- Look for signs of intoxication such as slurred speech or the smell of alcohol or marijuana
- Always watch for the other driver trying to hide or “ditch” anything. You may be able to catch it on video with your phone, or simply point it out to police.
- Record the other driver if they’re acting intoxicated. This visual proof counts for far more than simply your claim about what you saw.
- If you suspect the other driver is intoxicated, always tell police.
I was a passenger in the car. What are my rights?
Passengers in car accidents have the same right to recover money as anyone else. This is true whether you were in the car with the sober driver or the drunk driver. Even if you accepted a ride from a drunk driver, you are not the one who caused the accident and you can be covered by a car accident claim.
For a free legal consultation with a drunk driving victims lawyer serving Kennesaw, call 404-400-4000
Will my drunk driving accident claim pay for all of my injuries?
Yes, it should. In fact, most drunk driving claims pay out far more than the total cost of your medical bills. This is for a few reasons:
- You can also recover money for other costs like missed work time and car repairs
- You have a right to recover money for serious losses like pain and suffering, permanent disfigurement (scarring or losing a limb), developing a permanent condition or other serious health situations. If the accident has any kind of major impact on your life, this could double or triple your claim—or more.
- You may also be eligible for punitive damages paid as punishment by the driver.
When you add all of these together, it means that drunk driving accident claims frequently rise above the $100,000 mark and multi-million dollar claims are not unheard of. This kind of financial award is not a cure-all. We don’t believe that it can reverse what happened, and it can never bring back a loved one. But we have also seen how this money helps the victims of accidents and their families—how it creates stability and security in a very chaotic time. This money is your right and you should do everything in your power to pursue it.
Talk to a Kennesaw Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer for Free
One drunk driver’s bad decision can leave you with lifelong effects. Don’t get stuck with the bill as well. Let John Foy & Associates help you build a strong case and get every dollar you are entitled to under the law. We offer a FREE consultation and we never charge our clients anything unless we can win them money. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.