Bainbridge residents experience their share of car accidents. What is even more worrying is that many drivers in such accidents don’t have insurance coverage. Whether uninsured, underinsured, or insured, getting into a car accident can be frustrating. A Bainbridge car accident lawyer at John Foy & Associates can help you understand your rights, file the right claim, and get the compensation you need to be on the road to recovery.
11 Steps to Take if You’re in a Car Accident
According to a statistic by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 6 million accidents occur every year in the United States. It does not matter whether the accident is a minor fender bender or a major collision, an individual can get easily flustered due to the impact. Here are 11 important steps to take after a car accident has occurred.
- Find out if anyone is hurt or not.
- Ensure you and your vehicle are out of the danger zone on the road.
- Call the police.
- Start capturing important information such as an address, phone number, and driver’s license number. Ensure vehicle information is also captured such as the make of vehicle, color, and license plate number.
- Describe the entire accident scene in a well-drafted document and ensure photographs are tagged with the description.
- Don’t get involved in any sort of discussions about responsibility.
- Check the impact on your vehicle. If the damage is severe, call a tow truck that can take your car to a nearby repair center.
- Talk to your insurance company to ensure that your damages are covered properly. There might be a temptation to settle through a cash transaction, however, it is recommended not to go for that because the impact of such damages on your pocket can be severe.
- Use technology to start your claim process. Today we can see many people resorting to mobile apps to quickly start the claims process.
- It is important that you visit your doctor. Even if you did not suffer from any injury that is visible to the eyes, chances are that some injuries may crop up after a couple of days.
- It is important to be calm at the time of the accident. Take care of basic things in advance, such as insurance forms and mobile apps, and by going through the process guide of the insurance company.
to find a John Foy office near you
When to Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident
People seek legal intervention depending upon the severity of the accident. If the accident has been extremely severe, then calling a lawyer becomes a pertinent task so that they can start building your case. You need to contact an attorney in these circumstances:
- Any accident that results in extreme injury to you or anyone else
- An accident where one is not able to establish the fault clearly
- If the crash involves another motorist or a pedestrian or other vehicles such as trucks or cycles
- An accident in a school zone
- Any sort of disagreement that you have with the police report
- Any accident near a construction zone
- If there is an underinsured or uninsured driver involved in the car accident
These are some of the situations in which you must seek legal help. However, you can seek such help in other scenarios as well.
Bainbridge Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 229-232-8678
What to Know About Compensation from a Car Accident
In the case of a Bainbridge car accident, the victim has the right to be compensated for the injuries suffered. However, the reality is that there are a handful of people who actually know about the different types of compensation one can get in a car accident. Here are the different types of compensation:
- Hospital Bills. It is inevitable that anyone who has been involved in a severe car accident will have a lot of hospital bills to pay. These expenses can put a dent in your finances, hence there is a legal recourse to help the victim get covered for such expenses.
- Pain. Due to the severity of the accident the person can undergo excruciating pain causing him or her trouble in performing basic functions such as walking, sleeping, and even going to the bathroom. Such situations can also be compensated through a legal channel.
- Loss of Income. Accidents will force people to be bedridden, and as a result, they won’t be able to go to work. This will result in a loss of income for those many days, which the victim can claim.
- Punitive Damages. Along with the above damages, the victim can also claim punitive damages. Usually, these are provided by the court in a situation where the accused is behaving irrationally and unruly.
Over and above the aforementioned types, people can also claim compensation for things like loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment in life, and emotional trauma. To ensure that you are compensated properly, it is important to pick up the right lawyer who can win it for you.
Car Accident Damages + Statistics
The gravity of the situation can be understood only if we focus on the statistics. Here are some important car accident statistics.
- In 2020, more than 5 million car accidents were reported in the U.S.
- Deaths due to traffic were 38,824 in 2020. This is considered to be the highest fatality count since 2007.
- Close to 43% of car accidents resulted in severe injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Bainbridge, call 229-232-8678
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Unlike in other cases where lawyers charge mostly an hourly or retainer, car accident lawyers charge differently. Typically, a car accident lawyer will charge a contingency fee. This means that the firm will not get their fees unless they help the victim win the claims and help in recovering the expenses and damages.
Lawyers get paid in the range of 25% to 40%. However, the standard rate is 33%.
Contact a Bainbridge Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been involved in a car accident and are seeking legal intervention, contact a Bainbridge car accident lawyer at John Foy & Associates today. They will help you get the compensation that you deserve.