Every year in Griffin, many injuries result from slip and fall accidents. Although a slip and fall may sound like a small thing, the outcomes of this type of accident can actually be extreme or even deadly. The victim of a slip and fall can face significant medical bills, miss work time, and be left with a financial burden they weren’t prepared for. If you or someone you love was hurt by a slip and fall, contact a Griffin slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible to pursue the financial recovery you need.
At John Foy & Associates, we have more than 20 years of devoted service to victims of personal injury, like slips and falls, that result from someone else’s carelessness. Our goal is to help our clients make the fullest recovery possible. For a FREE consultation to discuss your options, call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to the right today.
What is a slip and fall claim?
Slip and fall cases are known as premises liability cases. This means liability is based on the failure of a property owner to take the necessary measures up keeping their property for the safety of those using or entering it. A slip and fall claim seeks financial recovery for damages you’ve suffered as a result of slipping and falling on someone’s property because of their negligence, or carelessness.
Property owners have a duty to maintain their premises so they’re safe for those using them. That includes:
- Fixing cracks or holes in sidewalks or other walkways
- Having proper lighting
- Making sure their buildings are structurally sound
- Storing supplies and equipment properly and out of harm’s way
- Providing sufficient security
Failure to uphold maintenance like this is negligence that can easily cause an accident like someone slipping and falling. It’s important to pursue a slip and fall claim because proper accidents can result in extreme injuries like broken bones, head trauma, back or knee injuries, spinal cord damage, and more. Medical treatment for these injuries can involve a long and expensive road to recover that the victim shouldn’t have to burden. If you were hurt by a slip and fall, your claim could help you cover:
- Medical bills from the treatment of your slip and fall injuries
- Rehabilitation or hospitalization
- Loss of income from time taken off work because of the injuries
- Possibly pain and suffering and emotional trauma damages if accompanied by physical injuries
- Wrongful death for loss of support and companionship
How do I prove a slip and fall claim in Griffin?
To have a valid slip and fall claim, under Georgia law you must be able to present evidence that:
- The owner of the property either knew about the hazard that caused your fall (or should have reasonably known about it) and didn’t do anything to make it safer
- You, as the victim, had insufficient knowledge of the hazard despite exercising regular care for your own safety
- You having insufficient knowledge of the slip and fall hazard was because of conditions or actions taken or not taken by the property owner that was within their control
It’s also possible to win a personal injury claim even if the property owner didn’t know about the hazard. Sometimes dangerous conditions can go unrecognized or addressed because the owner isn’t doing proper inspections to check for and correct said dangers.
As much as you can, collect evidence to help prove your case. That includes:
- Taking pictures of the location where you fell. Photograph any hazards you tripped over or whatever caused your fall. The sooner you get the pictures after your fall and injury, the better.
- Getting pictures of your injuries right after the accident and several times after, especially if there are any changes in severity or appearance.
- Asking witnesses for their names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers. Them seeing the accident is helpful for your case.
- Reporting the slip and fall to the property owner or manager of the property. If the location is a place of business, get the name and contact information of the person you reported to.
Also, be careful to not apologize for or downplay the injury you suffered—especially if you are contacted by an insurance company. And don’t sign anything until you’ve spoken with your attorney.
If you’re unsure if your personal injury qualified as a valid slip and fall claim, a personal injury lawyer can look at the evidence and help determine if you have a case. It’s very common for our clients to initially blame themselves for the fall and assume they don’t have a case—when it turns out they actually do. These types of claims can end up bringing in as much as tens of thousands of dollars or more, so it’s always good to ask an experienced attorney about your options.
I slipped and fell at work. Do I have a valid claim?
Potentially, yes. But you may also have grounds for a workers compensation claim if the slip and fall happened at your place of work. This is good since it means you may be able to get your claim approved without the need for a lawsuit.
Talk to a Griffin Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
You shouldn’t have to suffer or blame yourself for someone else’s negligence of their own property. If you are a victim of a slip and fall, our attorneys can help. At John Foy & Associates, we work exclusively with personal injury victims, and we know how to win cases. Not only is working with us risk-free (we don’t get paid unless you get money), we’ll also offer you a FREE consultation to discuss your options. To claim your free consultation, call us at 404-400-4000 or complete the online form to your right to get started today.