During the summer, everyone loves a barbeque. However, beware of the health hazards that could come with the fun. Wire grill brush bristles can cause serious injury.
6-year-old Anthony Fiore of Toronto, Canada, was hospitalized after being served a burger that contained a wire bristle. The bristle lodged in his throat, requiring surgery to remove. The boy then had to fight an infection caused by bacteria on the bristle.
A Halifax woman also swallowed a bristle that lodged so far down her throat that surgeons were unable to remove it.
The University of Missouri School of Medicine recently released a study on these types of injuries. They identified almost 1,700 wire brush bristle injuries in the United States since 2002.
Raising awareness and product manufacturers is key to promoting safety during the summer grilling season.
One of the leading manufacturers of gas and charcoal grills, Weber, had the following safety tips to offer:
- If your wire brush bristles are worn down or clogged with grease, replace it.
- If the brush head is split or warped, the bristles can come loose. Replace it.
- If your grill brush looks fine, perform this safety check: take a pair of pliers and grab a bristle. Pull on it using moderate force. If the bristle pulls loose, replace it.
If you are still concerned about wire bristles coming loose, there are other options for cleaning your grill. A nylon or stainless steel scrubbing pad will work as well. You can also use an abrasive pad and spray-on cleaner.
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the “Strong Arm” attorneys at the law offices of John Foy & Associates. Our experienced attorneys will help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today.