Atlanta has been hit hard by winter this year, but it looks as if the icy and wintery mess is over, at least for now.
Still, the forecast is not completely clear yet. There have been some heavy rains in the area early Monday morning. The rain looks like it will continue into Tuesday as well.
If we have learned anything from last week’s weather is to always be prepared for any kind of driving condition or situation, especially during the winter months.
Here is a list of must have items that can make driving in harsh conditions easier for you, and might ultimately help you avoid an accident in the long run.
- Carry a fully charged cellphone. (But always remember to pull over to safe area in order to use it. Never text and drive.)
- Have a snow/ ice scraper IN your car. You might know how bad the weather is on your commute to work, but you never know how the weather is going to be like once you get out. Don’t let it give you a nasty surprise. Always think ahead.
- Have a first aid kit in your car.
- Carry extra batteries, a flash light, bottled water and non-perishable snacks. Things don’t just happen during the day and they sometimes take longer than five minutes.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full in order to be ready for unexpected situations and to reduce the amount of condensation in your car.
Again, with these few but helpful tips, winter weather driving becomes easier to manage and the possibility of becoming involved in an accident might be less than when not being prepared.