Many drivers have probably experienced something known as road rage. Road rage and sometimes just driving aggressively, is exceptionally common. While 53% of drivers consider speeding 10 m.p.h. over the speed limit as normal, the other 47% consider this to be road rage when it occurs during rush hour. 94% of crashes are caused by human error and in nearly 1/3 of these cases, road rage or aggressive driving behavior is directly linked to the crash. An even more horrifying statistic is that 37% of road rage incidents involve a firearm. About 30 murders per year are linked to road rage.
48-year-old Bryan Keith Schmitt was indicted on August 23rd. He is facing charges of felony murder and aggravated assault charges stemming from a July 30th incident where he allegedly ran over 60-year-old Hamid Jahangard.
According to prosecutors, Schmitt allegedly swerved his 2011 Mercedes CLS550 into Jahangard. The road rage incident allegedly occurred after Schmitt says that Jahangard threw a golf ball at his car.
Schmitt told police that he accidentally hit Jahangard when he swerved to avoid crashing into a trashcan in the driveway of Jahangard’s Sandy Springs rental property.
Jahangard died three days later as a result of massive head trauma that he sustained in the accident.
Footage of the accident obtained from a nearby security camera led police to believe that the crash was intentional.
Have you been injured in an accident? We can help. Call today.