If you are employed in Roswell, you are most likely covered by workers compensation. Coverage starts as soon as you begin work, and it applies to everyone from top executives to hourly, entry-level employees.
Workers compensation should pay the cost of an on-the-job injury, but the insurance companies that issue workers compensation policies don’t like to pay out claims if they can avoid it. That means that if you are injured at work, the insurance company may drag its feet, try to minimize your injuries or question how and where you were injured. An insurance company may even send you to a doctor who isn’t looking out for your best interests. All of this can leave you struggling financially, without the benefits you’re legally entitled to. But it doesn’t have to be this way. You need to talk to a Roswell workers compensation lawyer as soon as possible.
At John Foy & Associates, our law practice is devoted to helping injured people recover money to pay for their medical expenses and make up for lost income. We’ve been handling workers compensation claims for the past 20 years, and we understand how the system works and how to get insurance companies to pay. We’d like to give you a free consultation to discuss your claim and explain how we can help. Call us at 404-400-4000 and get your free consultation today.
What is the workers compensation system?
Workers compensation, also known as “workers comp,” is a program developed by the government to ensure compensation for people who are injured at work. Workers comp has two purposes:
- To provide financial support and medical treatment for injured workers
- To make sure workers don’t have to file expensive lawsuits
Workers comp is a lot like any other insurance policy. The law requires employers to buy workers comp insurance. If you are injured on the job, the policy will cover the costs.
But many people are reluctant to file a workers comp claim or think the program doesn’t apply to their injury. Here’s what you need to know:
- Workers comp isn’t a handout. Your employer pays for this insurance coverage, and most of the cost comes from deductions from your paycheck.
- It doesn’t matter how your injury occurred. If it happened at your job, you have a right to benefits.
How much money can I receive from workers compensation in Roswell?
In most cases, workers comp will pay 100% of your costs. Typical workers compensation benefits include:
- Medical treatment, including doctor visits, surgery and tests
- Prescription medications
- Physical therapy
- Vocational training to enable you to get back to work
- The cost of driving to medical appointments, at a rate of 40 cents a mile
- A paycheck while you are out of work due to your injury. Although a workers comp check is usually less than your normal paycheck, it is not taxed.
You can receive additional benefits if you have a long-term disability or a permanent condition. If you have lost a close family member in a workplace accident, you can recover financially for your loss. Of course, money can never erase the effect of a tragic accident, but it can go a long way toward helping you rebuild your life after your loss.
What injuries are covered by workers compensation in Roswell?
The general rule is that any injury that happens at work is covered. It’s important to know that:
- You are covered regardless of who caused the injury
- You are covered regardless of how the injury occurred
- You are covered even if the injury had nothing to do with your job duties. Slipping on a bathroom floor is covered the same as being injured by equipment you use to do your job.
- You do not have to blame your employer or prove who was at fault in order to be approved for benefits
The construction injury tends to generate more workers comp claims than other types of businesses. We have seen construction workers who were hit by falling objects, or caught in equipment, or who suffered electric shocks. But we also have handled many claims by workers in other industries, including restaurant employees, delivery drivers, and office workers.
What kinds of injuries are NOT covered by workers compensation?
Workers compensation was created specifically to cover injuries in the workplace. Therefore, injuries that happen away from your employer’s premises are usually not covered. However, the law recognizes that employees aren’t always on-site all the time, and therefore there are some exceptions. For example, workers comp may cover you if you were injured in one of these situations:
- During business travel
- In a company vehicle
- While running an errand for your employer
- At an off-site meeting
- While working remotely
Workers are often injured while commuting to or from work. These injuries are not covered by workers comp, but may be covered under ordinary auto insurance policies. However, if you are injured in your employer’s parking lot or sidewalk, workers compensation may cover you.
Does workers compensation pay for emotional or psychological injuries?
In many cases, yes. Workers comp covers the consequences of a physical injury, including emotional trauma. Therefore, if you are physically hurt and also need mental health treatment, workers comp should cover it. However, if you suffer a psychological injury without any physical harm, you will not be eligible for workers comp.
Will I have to file a lawsuit against my employer to get workers comp in Roswell?
The workers compensation system guarantees that you will never have to sue your employer in the City of Roswell for a workplace injury. In fact, it’s not allowed, for a few reasons:
- A lawsuit can drag on for years. Workers comp ensures that you won’t have to wait that long for a financial recovery.
- It can be hard to predict the outcome of a lawsuit. Workers comp takes away the uncertainty and stress.
- Most workers don’t want to go up against their employers in court. Workers comp lets workers make a claim with an insurance company, not with their employers.
Many of the workers who come to us for a free consultation are afraid their employer will take action against them if they file a workers compensation claim. But these fears are mostly unfounded—most employers are happy to see their workers get the care they need. Insurance companies, however, may do everything in their power to avoid paying a claim. That’s why you need to get a lawyer working on your claim as soon as possible.
Talk to a Roswell Workers Compensation Lawyer for Free
As an injured worker, you have the right to recover financially your injuries. Don’t delay and let insurance companies push you around. We’ll give you a free consultation to explain how we can help you get the workers compensation benefits that you’re entitled to. Call us at 404-400-4000 or fill out the form to your right and get your FREE consultation today.