Car accidents can be terrifying, even just a simple fender bender can lead to disorientation and a scramble to get one’s bearings. Now, imagine the other driver speeding away instead of stopping to offer aid. Hit-and-run accidents occur with surprising frequency and it can be hard to know what to do when the other driver doesn’t stay to help or to even exchange information. However, if you follow these simple steps, you can be sure that you have handled the hit-and-run in the best way possible. WFTV reports.
- Assess any injuries that you, or your passengers, may have. If necessary, dial 911 to get help for serious injuries. If everyone is okay and there are no injuries or the injuries are minor, move on to step 2.
- If able, move your car out of traffic and to the side of the road. Staying in the lanes can result in your car being hit again. Try and get off to the right shoulder and turn your hazard lights on whether you can move your vehicle or not.
- Call the police. The police will take your report, so try and remember any information you can about the other driver. The police will also help with accident cleanup if needed.
- Write down everything about the accident after police leave. Where did it happen? What time was it? How did it happen? Write down all the details about the other car that you can remember.
- Keep on the lookout for witnesses. If anyone else stops, try and get them to stay long enough to give a statement to police.
- File a police report. Insurance companies will require a police report for most accident claims. This is especially true for hit-and-run accidents. Get a copy of the police report when it becomes available.
- Go to the doctor. If you’re injured, the sooner you see a doctor the better. If your passengers are injured, make sure that they see a doctor as soon as possible, too.
- Contact your insurance company and file an insurance claim. This is an important step towards ensuring your car is repaired.
Follow these steps if you’re ever involved in a hit-and-run accident to ensure the best outcome when you deal with insurance. It will also help if you seek the services of an attorney.
Have you been injured in an accident? We can help. Call today.